Friday 30 January 2009

FOREWORD: Poem - " America Is Me "

Straight to the point:

I am not American or as we say in Australia "a Yank / Yankee" and I have never wanted to be American. (Yes I know that in the U.S.A. a "Yankee" is an American from the northern states in America but for the rest of the world a "Yankee" simply means an American)

I am an Australian living in Tokyo, Japan.

So it may seem strange to you that I would write a poem about being American and living in the United Sates of America.

My reasons for doing are many fold:

1) It was a challenge for myself to write as another person may see, feel and, or think.

2) America voting a black man to be the president of their country is a turning point for America and quite frankly an historical event. It has shown the world the that democracy and equal rights for all DO WORK.

3) I have spoken to many of my American friends, Americans I know less well, Americans in chat rooms & BBS's throughout the world about their views and feelings at seeing Mr. Obama elected as President.
And also watching TV such as CNN etc and seeing the reaction of people in America, the TV-people and the people around the world.
I have tired to capture all this in my poem "America Is Me". I hope that I have done them justice.

Syrbastyian

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be completely and utterly open and honest. Say what you truly think and believe NOT what others think or believe. Please do not write a one line comment. If you are going to say something then SAY SOMETHING with that encompasses you.